Thursday, March 25, 2010

My great accomplishment!!

A few weeks ago I was so excited to see that Avery had learned to pull herself up to stand all by herself. I had no idea it was going to create so many problems...including the fact that she started to use her bed as a tasty chew toy. I really didn't think that she would sleep well in the basement with the dogs...Jackson snores so loudly, so I had to come up with some other solution. My immediate fix was to tie bath towels to each side. I thought that I had solved the problem...but "A" found a few places I had missed. I added more towels on the corners, and it looked completely ridiculous...

Before picture.

I searched Etsy for rail covers...but it was going to cost $75 or more. Next, I looked for a DIY pattern. After searching for some time, I finally found a blog that had directions on how to make such a thing. So off to the craft store I went, and bought all that I needed...and more. I think it cost maybe $45. But I have been so busy with school that I wasn't sure when it was going to get accomplished., but today I felt like I was good with my school work...so I made these...

This is a picture of 2 of the 3 rail covers I sewed.

I'm sure people who know me well, like Stacey or my mom, just fell out of their chairs when they read that I "sewed". I have no idea how to sew...but I winged it. And honestly I don't think they turned out so badly.

After picture.

She likes how soft they feel.


Avery checking out the view from below.

At one point today, all the lights on my sewing machine were blinking and nothing was working..ha ha-no kidding. But other than that, this project went pretty smoothly. I'm very happy with the outcome. I just hope they work as well as they look.
I do wish I knew how to sew. I should have taken sewing classes years ago. When Avery gets older, I'm definitely going to sign her up for classes. She doesn't have to be a fashion designer, but I don't want her to be as lost about sewing as I am. Knowing how to sew definitely comes in handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment