Friday, January 22, 2010

Recap on homemade baby food.

On Saturday the Mercer family headed to Kreiger's to stock up on fuits and veggies to make Avery's babyfood. Kreiger's is a local grocery store that specializes in local, organic and Amish foods. Produce seems to be cheaper there, and you feel like it is better for you because most of the produce you're buying is grown locally.



Here is all the food we bought to begin our babyfood journey. I had bought the Cuisinart at Bed, Bath and Beyond earlier in the week. It was key to making this process go smoothly.





I was worried that this was going to be hard, but it really wasn't. I washed and cleaned the food, cut it, steamed it, chopped it in the Cuisinart and then froze it in ice cube trays. Here is a picture of the zuchini just before it went into the ice cube trays.



After the food has been frozen hard (fruits 1 day/veggies 2 days), I put the ice cubes in labeled bags.



So in the last few days I've made the following....broccoli, squash, zuchini, carrots, blueberries and peaches. I still need to make the cauliflower. And Avery has also been eating the avacado and kiwi. I'm not going to lie....the broccoli stinks, and the carrots are hard to get to the right consistency. They seem so grainy. I was sure she was going to turn her nose up at some of these things. But she hasn't once! She kind of looked at me weird when I first fed her carrots, but it didn't slow her down. This baby loves to eat!! In fact, I'm afraid I feed her too much. Breakfast = 3 Tbsp of cereal mixed with some sort of fruit. Today it was blueberries. Lunch = 3 ice cubes of a veggie, 3 ice cubes of fruit and a couple cheerios Dinner = 3 ice cubes of veggies and a yogurt and probably a couple of cheerios.


When we came home Saturday night I thought that we had bought enough food to last months....now I'm not so sure. I'm pretty sure it won't be long before we are heading back to Kreiger's.


Sippy Cup

This week I've been filling up Avery's sippy cup with 2oz of water and 2oz of apple juice, so a total of 4 oz each day. At every meal I put it on her tray. She is getting quite good at drinking from it. I took these pictures, and will have video to post shortly.





Weekend

We are excited about our weekend. Sunday is Avery's baby dedication at our church. So tomorrow we are going to look for something for her to wear. I'm hoping to find something that will be appropriate for Sunday, but something she can wear again. Pictures definitely to come. I also need to somehow find a way to complete my homework and study for Monday's quiz.
















No comments:

Post a Comment